1.27.2009

Measure twice...cut once

This weekend it was time to add the deck beams. This is challenging as it is a compound angle and no, I didn't know what that meant. The gunwales are at a 73 degree angle, so the deck beams were cut at a 17 degree angle where they meet. Then you have to figure out the horizontal angle since the boat curves in at the ends. It's pretty simple, just place the piece of wood across the gunwales and mark underneath along the gunwale where it meets. Cut, flip, repeat and you should have a perfect fit. The simple things are hard for me, but I eventually got them all cut.





The next step was to drill 2 holes thru the gunwales and into the deck beams for dowels. What I didn't realize was that every time I pounded the dowels into place, the gunwales shifted. By the end of it the gunwales had shifted an inch so the ends no longer met & I once again had a wonky kayak. I was very frustrated and mad at myself. Up steps Master Chuck to the rescue. We only had to replace the last deck beam in the stern and then we pounded and pulled the kayak back into shape. Whew! Once again I have a symetrical kayak.




Daniel is a Senior in High School and is building her own qajaq at school for credit. She has had a few setbacks, so we invited her to the shop to get back on track over the Holiday weekend. She was starting over with new wood for her gunwales.
























Chuck had a little accident and had to re-attatch his "tailfin".

Look Dorothy Ken is sewing! He's actually lashing the deck beams to the gunwales for added strength and support. This is my next step.

2 comments:

  1. Hello It´s with enormous pleasure that I invite you to visit my new and fresh blog at:

    www.ruisousaartworks.blogspot.com

    regards and be happy!

    ps: leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete