3.11.2010

Ski Season is Over

  Winter ended quickly and abruptly this year and I wasn't done skiing! This picture is from just two weeks ago at Mt. Holly on a warm and sunny Monday. I took it with my new palm pre and am surprised how good the photo quality is.


Just the day before I was up north cross country skiing with friends. We had a great time, even though I was fighting with my skis. I bought mine online for a steal, but they are wax skis, which I didn't quite understand til now. I took them in to be waxed and they asked me if I had kick wax...what? Apparently you need kick wax so you actually get a good kick and glide going. No wonder I was struggling so much and couldn't keep up with my friends on a previous outing!



On Saturday we headed to Black Mountain in Onaway, Michigan and we were the first ones on the trail. I did much better with the wax, but I still didn't feel like I was getting enough kick most of the time. Me thinks my technique could be suspect. However after about an hour or so things started to warm up and the snow started sticking to my skis. Nothing I did could  get my glide back and keep the snow off. I ended up taking the skis off and walking back about a mile, which was not easy in ski boots.  I came across a couple different people who kindly stopped, smiled and tried to offer advice. Turns out I needed the purple wax, which could have been added on top of the red when the weather warmed up. There's always next year and maybe I'll have waxless skis by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment